Friday 14 May 2010

Gregory Crewdson

Is one of my favorite photographers the way he planned his scene and how he choose the perfect time to creat the magical moment in the image. Every detail of these images is meticulously planned and staged, in particular the lighting. In some instances, extra lighting and special effects such as artificial rain or dry ice are used to enhance a natural moment of twilight. In others, the effect of twilight is entirely artificially created.

All the images propose twilight as a poetic condition. It is a metaphor for, and backdrop to, uncanny events that momentarily transport actors from the homeliness and security of their suburban context. Crewdson has drawn inspiration from the town of Lee, Massachusetts, where his family has a cabin: it was the setting for his Natural Wonder series (1992-97), which fused the natural and domestic worlds in surreal, vividly colorful images.

In some of my I images I have taken in the twilight I achieved in some of my images without a crew it’s by me and my camera, its not easy to capture what I really want to be in my frame because its not been planned like Gregory Crewdson but I’m trying to capture the best twilight moment that I’m looking for to be in my frame.

I think I always have been drawn to photography because I want to construct a perfect world. I want to try to create this moment that is separate from the chaos of my life, and to do that I think I create enormous disorder. And I like that craziness because I think that it creates almost a sort of neurotic energy on the set, and through that there is a moment of transportation. And in all my pictures what I am ultimately interested in is that moment of transcendence or transportation, where one is transported into another place, into a perfect, still world. Despite my compulsion to create this still world, it always meets up against the impossibility of doing so. So, I like the collision between this need for order and perfection and how it collides with a sense of the impossible. I like where possibility and impossibly meet.”
Gregory Crewdson, from an interview on Egg (pbs.org)

Gregory Crewdson
Untitled from the series 'Beneath the Roses'
2004

References


No comments:

Post a Comment